The commonest mistake in responding to emotion.

The commonest mistake in responding to emotion.

Hello everyone! Welcome back to my youtube channel. In this video, I'm talking about the commonest mistake people make when they respond to emotion.

You pick up on the emotion.

You respond with just the right words.

Your tone is perfect.

And yet...

If you make this one mistake...

It may all be for naught!

I call it the empathy killer, and there is a very high chance that, unless someone has pointed it out to you, you're making this very mistake whenever you respond to emotion.

That was certainly the case for me.

This mistake had been trained into me through years of 7 minute OSCE stations and time-pressured work environments.

Little did I know that it was a false economy.

Since I fixed this habit in myself, I reckon I've saved many hours of cumulative time in difficult conversations.

Curious?

In the video, we discuss a recent paper that reviews this very issue, and offers a simple solution to the problem.

........

I hope you guys enjoy this video. If you loved the video, please make sure to like and subscribe to the channel and ring the notification bell 🔔 so you won't miss my new videos. Don’t forget to share with your friends and family. I would love to hear your opinions, comment down below. Thanks for watching and I'll see you in the next video.

0:00 - One Simple Mistake?
0:48 - JAMA paper on Physician Empathetic Statements
1:24 - Two Different Responses
2:06 - So What Made the Difference?
2:29 - 2 Examples
3:13 - Silence is Gold


Watch More Of My Videos:

Defusing Strong Emotions
https://youtu.be/9UZcaOVMMcU

Why Getting Better at Difficult Conversations May Be Easier (and More Valuable) Than You Think...
[https://youtu.be/VCgpwBwKBXM](https://youtu.be/VCgpwBwKBXM)

5 things I've Learned About Using Respect, Praise, and Appreciation:
https://youtu.be/XyijFnCUnO0


Sunday Synapse
If you're interested in joining a great conversation on effective communication skills, emotionally intelligent leadership and what it is to lead a good life, you can sign up to my weekly newsletter, the "Sunday Synapse" here:
https://ukulele-guava-2y82.squarespace.com
🙂


☀ Relevant Hashtags:
#communication #communicationskills #difficultconversations #icu #healthcare #intensivecareunit #effectivecommunication #conversations #conflictresolution #learn #litfl #commslab #emergencymedicine #medicalstudents #OSCE #shareddecisionmaking #breakingbadnews #feedback #conflictresolution #thepowerofpause

power of pause in speechpower of pause in communicationpause

Post a Comment

0 Comments